Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for James Fleming & Mary Lynch of Ireland

Page 0 + 1 of 9

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:03

Hi all, so I've discovered this marriage record for my Irish great great grandparents. They married in 1891 in Cork, namely James Fleming & Mary Lynch.

See- https://imgur.com/a/gsnnC

I think i've tracked down their birth records but i'm really struggling to find their death records which I suspect will be in the UK, probably Stockton on Teesside?

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:05

This appears to be the likely birth record for James Fleming

see- https://imgur.com/a/aZ0bE

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:07

This appears to be the likely birth record for Mary Lynch record 379- https://imgur.com/a/9RgC2

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:09

There's a definite maritime feel to the Fleming side that I can see from these records. I can see from my great grandmother Mary Frances Fleming marriage certificate that James was listed as deceased trade Rigger at a Shipyard.

See- https://imgur.com/a/3I3oh

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:11

So sometime after their marriage in 1891 James & Mary moved from Ireland to England I think? Is there enough information here to track down where they ended up?

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 00:23

hmmmm just went onto the Irish Genealogy site and thought i'd try a broad sweep 1895-1928 and see there was 156 James Fleming deaths in that time period.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Jan 2018 09:04

Laird...Bit of a puzzle here !

Check out the Marriage and subsequent childrens' Births for this couple...Note signatures on MC and witnessess'

Party 1 Name
JAMES FLEMING

Party 2 Name
MARY BROWNE

Date of Event
22 September 1887

Group Registration ID

SR District/Reg Area
Middleton

The last birth in Co Cork I can see for James and Mary (Lynch) is Jeremiah b Sept 1896.

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 09:39

Hi Eringobragh1916 the name Jeremiah seems consistent. I believe Mary Lynch father was Jeremiah Lynch.

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 09:44

I'm starting to think that James Fleming and wife Mary formerly Lynch perhaps did not leave Ireland at all but rather their daughter did. Mary Frances Fleming born 1893. Found their daughters birth record this morning 1893 Mary Fleming record adds middle name Frances parents James Fleming and Mary Fleming formerly Lynch address Middleton......so definitely the correct record :-)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Jan 2018 10:00

Yes I found that but Cannot see them on 1901/1911 although Mary Lynch did sign her MC as Minnie (as did Mary Browne..!)

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 10:32

I'm pretty sure mimi or minnie are nicknames variants of Mary?

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 14:55

Other thoughts, I believe in Ireland at that time you had to be legally 21 to marry. Assuming 1891 - 21 as the full age that does suggest the 1868 birth of James Fleming has some additional validity. I assume both would have to be 21 so Mary Lynch would likely have to have been born about 1870/1.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 17 Jan 2018 15:28

Erin mentioned the last child born was likely Jeremiah in 1896.

Perhaps the were no more children because James had died?

Death:

Name JAMES FLEMING
Married
Abode: Aghada
Deceased Age at Death 39
Year of Death 1897
Date of death: 17th May 1897
Informant: Mary Fleming (Widow of Deceased- present at death)

Group Registration ID 4184468
SR District/Reg Area Middleton
-----------------------------------

I have to pop out. I'll take another look later

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 16:34

Ah brilliant thanks for finding that!

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 17 Jan 2018 16:44

NOOO- something's not right, Hold on

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 17 Jan 2018 16:54

There is something a little odd!

As Erin said have you checked out the 1887 marriage to Mary Browne?

Marriage: 22nd September 1887

James Fleming- Bachelor, Seaman- Whitegate, father: John Fleming, seaman

Mary Browne - Spinster- Lower Aghada. ftaher: Thomas Browne, seaman

(Mary signs Minnie)

Witnesses: Michael Halloran & Alice Neil.
-------------------------------

They have a child, James, in 1897:

Birth: 23rd May 1897

James Fleming

Father: James Fleming- Seaman, Aghada
Mother: Mary Browne
----------------------------

So the above death is likely for this James- but the details are very similar to your James. (This James and Mary (Browne) also lose their son John, in April 1897)

I'm a bit confused by how similar these are- I'll keep looking

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 18:07

Oh dear this is rather confusing these families are similar, same area, same names......they almost sound related?

Laird

Laird Report 17 Jan 2018 18:22

I've back tracked over my existing records, I can see that on my great grandmothers marriage license she's definitely Mary Frances Fleming and father listed as deceased James Fleming (Rigger at Ship Yard). Mary Frances Fleming also definitely has as we have noted a birth record to James Fleming and Mary Lynch so I think Fleming/Lynch is the right branch.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 17 Jan 2018 19:34

If you have the correct birth certificate for Mary Fleming, then she knocked a year off her age when she married.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 17 Jan 2018 19:35

OK, I'll be finishing for the night shortly so a couple of points to think on for tomorrow

The 1939 register has Mary Frances Fleming (Nelson) date of birth as 17th August 1893, but the birth certificate gives a birth date of 27th September 1893. Are you certain she was born Ireland?

I don't think you have the correct birth for Mary Lynch- her father on her marriage is listed as a tailor, the father on that birth that you posted the link for is listed as a farm labourer.

This seems more likely parents:

Residents of a house 46.1 in Whitegate (Corkbeg, Cork)

Lynch Jeremiah 62 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Cork Tailor Married
Lynch Cathrine 64 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Cork -Married Deaf
-----------------------------------

Possible baptism- haven't found birth yet:

Name: Mary Lynch
Baptism Age: 0
Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 1869
Baptism Date: 31 Jan 1869
Baptism Place: Aghada, Cork, Ireland
Diocese: Cloyne
Father: Jeremiah Lynch