Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smith/Heslop Marriage Cert

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 16:30

I thought I had asked for some help a few years ago about this part of the family, but could not find a thread to continue on it, still struggling for marriage so I can get cert.

I am looking for the marriage for :William Smith born 26/07/1895. And Lillian Smith nee Heslop b. 16/07/1899. I found these dates on the 1939 Register they were living at 3 Joseph Place Rochdale Lancashire , livng with their youngest daughter Theresa Smith.,b. 04//03/1938 ?….Two of their other children James . b.12/03/1926 Morpeth Northumberland (the eldest ) and David b. 08/03/1932 Barnsley Yorkshire, on the 1939 register were staying with Fred Davies at Old Shop Ellesmere Shropshire. I could not find the other two Peter Smith b. 20/03/1930 Barnsley Yorkshire and Margaret E Smith B. 02/04/1937 Chorley Lancashire…
I did find a marriage : Elizabeth E Heslop Sept 1925 Sunderland 10a 1262 to a William H Smith, dates would fit, got the cert but not them.….My aunt said he had lost a leg at some point not sure about it though.

Lillian Smith died early 1940’s we know the children ended up in a Children’s Home in Lancaster., we tried to get records but they said they were lost in a fire years ago.

Thanks Folks for any help the name William Smith is so common aaarrrr…..Joanie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 16:41

SMITH Margaret Ellen HESSLOP 1937 Chorley Preston CHO/1A/20

1939 register - easier to assimilate info in this format

3 Joseph Place, Rochdale C.B., Lancashire, England
William Smith 26 Jul 1895 Male Shoe Maker Unemployed Married 141 1
Lilian Smith 24 Jul 1899 Female Charwoman Unemployed Married 141 2
The record for this person is officially closed.
Theresa Huskisson (Smith) 16 Aug 1938 Female Under School Age Single 141 4

The 'closed' record will be one of the children you say you 'can't find'

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jun 2020 16:41

Joanie, you appear to have posted 4 times - a glitch with GR I expect. Use this thread to continue on and delete the other 3 perhaps so folks don't repeat research if they don't notice.

Yes, a glitch. My reply posted twice and I get the error message when trying to delete one.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 16:43

GR has been playing up all afternoon!

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 16:44

How do i delete them please ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 16:45

Just click on 'delete' at the top

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jun 2020 16:47

Report, edit, delete and mark as answered all in green at top of your first post next to your name. Click on delete.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 16:50

If you look at the image of 1939 register you will see that William is clearly recorded as being an 'ex-Navy' man

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 16:54

Thanks ErikaH did not know that.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 16:54

Speculating........................

Births Sep 1899 (>99%)
Heslop Annie Lilian Newcastle T. 10b 57

NO.......she died in 1916

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 17:00

Can't see any sign of Theresa's birth reg on freebmd, FMP, or LancsBMD

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 17:23

Maybe she was born in another county

SORRY I was wrong my Aunt Teresa Smith was born 4/3/1938...I sent for that cert the SMITH / Nelson one and it was wrong....SORRY

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 17:54

I always thought they both came from Northumberland William and Lilian as i sent for their first born James William Smith's birth cert and address where born is 11 Walker Terrace Bedlington, looks like Lilian could not write as they put her mark X and address when registering James as : The Lodging House Grey Horse lane Houghton le Spring...William's occupation was a Hawker....

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jun 2020 20:33

Two previous threads:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1205247

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1207733

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2020 20:51

So this has all been done before, with no more success than now.

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 22:10

oh you found the threads...., I also sent for a marriage cert William h Smith 31/08/1925 married Elizabeth Etheline Heslop in Durham.

I have been doing it again for the last 4 months, thought if i have a break i might just get some where plus i have been contacting others with a William Smith b.1895 in their tree. The plus was the 1939 register which gave their birth dates.

Joanie

Joanie Report 7 Jun 2020 22:46

Thank you ErikaH for the info on him being in Navy, may i ask if there are any special sites i can look on for info on his family ?

I am looking on Ancestry but nothing as yet for his birth date on military site. the mystery deepens I will keep on for a wee bit longer, god loves a trier.

Once again thank you for looking, take care in these awful times.

Joanie x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jun 2020 09:09

Unfortunately, huge numbers of WW1 forces records have not survived, and William Smith is, as you've said, an extremely common name.

Also, many of the records which do survive are only medal records, and don't give the person's DOB or any helpful personal information.

For future reference - to find old threads which you've started, click on "My threads" in the "Tools" menu on the left side of this page, and then at the top of the resulting list of threads, click on "My threads - started".
If you were to add anything to the end of any of your old threads, that would bring it back to the top of the list of threads, and therefore all the helpers would notice it.

Joanie

Joanie Report 8 Jun 2020 09:21

Thank you Argyllgran, I did go to my threads but could not find them before i put this on and did try to explain on first post.x

malyon

malyon Report 8 Jun 2020 21:52

this is the only theresa smith's birth march 1938

Births Mar 1938 (>99%)
Smith Theresa M Smith Leicester 7a 354

i can find there is no birth for theresa august 1938 has stated in 39 reg.