General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School Trips

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jul 2018 05:34

Do you ever go on them?

We all had a wonderful day out yesterday, when I went with the class where I help as volunteer.
It was a whole school trip to a super sandy beach, where they spent a few hours playing, digging. building sandcastles and paddling.
It was great to see them enjoying such traditional fun.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 17 Jul 2018 07:37

i do love a school trip
yes i aways went with my kids school and now i go with grandson school
iv even gone on trips when my kids have not been in that class

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2018 08:22

Gwyn, who was in charge of the sun cream? It must have been a nightmare making sure they wouldn’t burn. Does that still come under the ‘no physical contact’ rules or did you have to get signed adult consent?

I’ve been on a number of school outings although most of my own are a hazy memory. As an ‘appropriate adult’, the most memorable has always been Lullingtone Roman Villa. There’s always someone who rushes up, wanting you to look at the baby’s skeleton :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jul 2018 08:36

Went on serveral when I was at school

The most memorable one was a days outing to the Festival of Britain and seeing the big domed area with the prong type supports

Think this was 1951

I went to school in south east London so was an easy trip to do .

Think we went by coach though from the school

Kense

Kense Report 17 Jul 2018 09:11

We went to London in 1951 but not to the Festival although we could see the Skylon etc. We went to the Tower and the British Museum. Saw the Rosetta Stone and Elgin Marbles, the latter was very disappointing as they were nothing like proper marbles.

Brian

Brian Report 17 Jul 2018 09:17

I remember a school trip I went on aged 11 .
I was at school in London at the time , it was 1971 and We stayed in the Cotswolds.
one place We visited was Stratford upon Avon . I fell in love with the place and often visit it now .

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 17 Jul 2018 10:45

No, I never went on a school trip! Daughter went on two to Europe, granddaughter has just come back from a week in Morocco!! How times change!!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Jul 2018 15:10

The whole school went to the Tutankhamun exhibition at the British Museum in 1972. It was stunning.

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 17 Jul 2018 15:17

OH and I went to see that kucinta, as you say, it was stunning!!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Jul 2018 15:24

Detective...Lullingstone Villa..Wow that's a blast from the past. Went there many years ago on a school trip.I lived in kent so not that far away.

Our school went to the beach this year.p1-7.had a fab day making sandcastles,burying kids! Picnic on lovely sands and we got lucky with the weather.5 minutes after leaving to get the bus back, the heavens opened.
Re the sun cream. No we are not allowed to put it on children. They get a note home telling parents to put it on before they come to school and bring the bottle with them.

Even 5 year olds we are not allowed to do it for them. Rules are as little physical contact where possible unless its an emergency.

Other trips were to the London museums, Battle Abbey, St leonards by sea had an adventure playground if I remember, that was fun.

Fun days fondly remembered but where I am, playing on a beach and a picnic are still favourites with the children.

Florence in the hebrides :-)

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 17 Jul 2018 16:40

My two children never went to the beach when they were at school for a school trip. Their school was only a mile from Bognor beach so we were on the beach most weekends in the summer.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jul 2018 17:05

When I was a child in primary school we went to the Festival of Britain. We also had a trip to Windsor, can't remember if we visited the castle, we had a river trip, we went by train for that one and the Festival as well (From Hampshire).

I don't remember any trips from High school except to the Billy Graham Crusades.

Daughter had a week away in Charmouth and also she had a trip to Greece, both from Comprehensive school. son also went to Greece.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jul 2018 17:16

Florence

That's the same request here re. suncream. The teachers gave reminders to reapply cream at intervals during our visit, but we don't touch the children. They have to manage themselves..We are not allowed to offer some of our cream either. They have to use whatever their family have sent.
They were also requested to wear a hat and bring plenty of water, as it has been so hot lately.

Adding to their enjoyment was the journey to the beach. We caught the train which runs across Romney Marsh and had a 1/3 size steam engine 'The Winston Churchill' pulling the carriages.
All the children were well behaved, although naturally excited.
It was great to be part of a lovely day out.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Jul 2018 18:47

Gwyn..does th steam train go as far as Romney marsh and Dymchurch. I seem to remember it did and was on it. But so long ago my memory cant recall where we went to and from?

Yes all children are encouraged to bring their own water bottles to school everyday.There some plastic beakers at the fountain, but goodness knows what germs they harbour!!

I also remember a trip to London zoo and Winsor Safari park although was a long coach trip.

Florence
in the hebrides

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Jul 2018 21:13

We were taken to London and had a trip down the Thames to the Cutty Sark, which was shut!

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jul 2018 21:19

Did a school trip to Tower of London once, had a bomb scare.

Another to London we girls went to see Evita on stage and the boys went to see a different type of street show! One of my friends locked the lady in front of us handbag strap in the opera glasses holder. We all went to Harrods too.

Allan

Allan Report 17 Jul 2018 23:05

Plenty of day trips to see castles, mainly in Wales and on the Welsh/English Border. Went down a coal mine on one memorable occasion.

Final year at primary school there was a week's trip to Staithes which was fantastic, then at High school went to Switzerland in the first year, followed by Norway in the second year. Also, although I never went, there was an annual trip at Easter to Ostende as well as one to the Lake District during the same time. I did that one every year for five years

I honestly don't know how my parents afforded it :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jul 2018 23:38

I remember a Geography 'field trip', from Totton (Hampshire) to West Meon - or it could have been East Meon (Hampshire), to see the lumpy ground :-\
...and I passed my Geography GCE. (somehow) :-D

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Jul 2018 23:48

Every year my senior school had 'House Outings'.

The whole school at the end of summer term decamped into coaches and went, by house (1st to upper sixth) ,for an educational day trip.

I remember... Greenwich, Windsor, Hampton Court, Woburn...But due to old age no others :-( All of which only cost my parents the same as a school lunch as it was subsidised by the school

In the third year we spent a week at a residential site 'Sayers Croft' in Surrey. That probably cost very little for my parents, otherwise I doubt I would have gone!.

When my son was in senior school there were numerous trips, so constant hands in pockets, but by then the cost wasn't a worry..

How parents can even afford a school day trip amazes me.....As to a residential trip, I am astounded :-(

Chris

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jul 2018 07:58

Yes Florence, we travelled on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, which goes from Hythe to Dungeness and several stops in between.
It's very popular with holiday makers.

I wasn't involved with the organisation and planning, so have no idea of the over all cost, but I did see the letter sent home to parents / guardians and know that their requested contribution was £1 per child. Presumably the rest was subsidised by their various fund-raising events. As each child was bought an ice cream or lolly , it was a fun day out, which most parents should have been able to afford.

As a child at junior school, we went to the pantomime each year in Southsea and in our last year in primary we had a class visit to London zoo.
At grammar school we didn't have day trips in school time, but I remember an educational visit to a sewage treatment works and another to an iron foundry. There was a cruise, - to the Mediterranean, I think, which very few parents could afford.

With my own children, I've been to many school trips and enjoyed them all. My grandson too has long ago left school, but I still volunteer and am not past helping to build a sandcastle !