General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Egg and Bacon Pie

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Sep 2019 22:15

Are you familiar with egg and bacon pie?

I know that our family only started to eat it in the 1930s when people from the north east moved into the village and they, having had to feed families on next to nothing for many years, showed my nan how to make it. It is a way to make one egg and up to half a rasher per person into a meal. It is simply bacon and beaten egg between two crusts and it is delicious.

It is delicious enough for us to decide to feed it to the village for the village lunch.Our local butcher has had pies made for us to serve before so we asked him if he could get one made then we could make a small vegetarian one for we few.

Assuming it would be made over the week-end, OH rang him this morning to clarify what we would be getting and that it doesn't have milk in it like a quiche.

The butcher, who evidently has never encountered an egg and rasher pie, has ordered us a Gala pie with the egg through the middle.

This is what they are going to have to have now but I was wondering if other people had ever encountered it. I know Delia has a recipe for one but is it something that nobody eats?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 22:46

Never eaten it!
I may now go through my war time cookbooks (well, probably on Sunday) and see if I can find a recipe. Must be prepared for the forthcoming catastrophe! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Sep 2019 22:51

It is very easy to make.

Line a pie dish with pastry, put in one rasher per person, cut up or not, as it suits you. Beat one egg each or as many as you have with some pepper and salt if the bacon doesn't have much. Tip it on to the bacon and put a pastry top on the pie and bake it at whatever temperature you bake pastry at.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Sep 2019 23:05

I didn't think it was a particularly northern dish.

I have never known the rashers be whole in the pie. Also, I prefer small chunks of ham or streaky bacon.

Try some cheese in it, Sharron, or even cheese and onion, but then it wouldn't be bacon and egg pie.

As for vegetarian pie, why not just egg and cheese and/or onion.

Personally, I am not a pastry fan so I would always choose a quiche with the same ingredients - and I never, ever eat crusts of anything. :-D

M and S does a decent one but my Mum did much better. I prefer a deeper one with more filling.

Get cracking, Sharron. Easy to make using ready pastry then your own quantities and choice of filling - but, for goodness sake, no whole rashers as that's an abomination in my view. :-D

Edit.
I see you've got cracking but why so little bacon? We ain't on rations any more. :-D

Edit again.

Sorry, I take it you mean a whole rasher, not the half-rashers that often come pre-packed? If you mean a full rasher (twice the pre-packed size), then one rasher per person is enough.

Gawd, it's getting late and it's drinkies time here. I'd better stop typing before I make a holy mess of everything. :-0 :-D

Allan

Allan Report 13 Sep 2019 23:44

My mother used to bake these pies for us when I was a child.

Delicious :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Sep 2019 23:48

JoyLouise - bacon bits would be easier! :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Sep 2019 23:48

That's what I ought to have written, Allan.

Rhubarb & Ginger gin has a lot to answer for. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 13 Sep 2019 23:49

Maggie, you're right. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 13 Sep 2019 23:53

:-D :-D :-D@JoyLouise

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2019 00:03

We used to have it a lot when we were little (here in the north east). Sometimes we had it with just the pastry bottom and no top (when money was really short). I used to make it when I was first married. At that time the Co-op used to sell bacon bits (all the left over bits which were more fat than bacon) and I used those.

Before I was born when my mother had her first three kids (and she was under 21) and my dad bringing next to no money in, she once went to an older neighbour to see if she could borrow something for their tea, she was told to try pancakes without the egg - just flour, water and sugar (all of which she had in the house). Apparently this filled up the kids and was better than nothing to eat. I've never tried it!!!!!

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Sep 2019 06:02

Egg and bacon pie sounds just the sort of thing younger daughter would like and make.
Like Maggie I've never eaten it or encountered one.
(born in Hampshire, Mum from Wales, Dad from Hampshire with Sussex roots )

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2019 07:19

Flour and water without the sugar, Kathleen, sounds like Damper - made by old Aussie bushmen over their open-air fires. If they had it, a touch of salt was sometimes added.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2019 07:23

Now you mention it JoyLouise, I think I remember my sons making dampers when they were away with the scouts. Funny how things slip your mind till someone mentions them. Old age creeping on!!

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 14 Sep 2019 08:44

I know a joke about old age creeping on....and it has nothing to do with egg and bacon pie

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2019 08:59

You are so norty, Allan. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2019 12:24

I have tried putting other things in the pie and it is just not the same at all and how much bacon or vege bacon you use depends on how much you have available. I think it was invented to eke out meagre rations and a slice of pie is far more satisfying than an egg and half a rasher.

Never would I ever make it into a quiche or even eat quiche if there was any other choice in the world. Quiche is an abomination! Bleh!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Sep 2019 12:31

My mum used to make it a lot I love it. We also used to have it when first married but not made it for years eat it hot or cold but Inprefer it hot.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2019 17:10

Sainsbury’s do a really nice bacon and egg flan

It’s a pastry case with the set egg and bacon

Really nice with some salad

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Sep 2019 21:58

That pie sounds good, mind you a few chilli flakes and it would be really good....IMHO.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2019 22:15

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One chilli flake would be far, far too many!!!!

Chilli flakes have no place in a civilized society!!!!!