General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who is Trump channelling?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Apr 2020 18:41

I thought it was Canute, but now I’m wondering if it is Nero! ;-)

Island

Island Report 14 Apr 2020 19:37

Dangerman :-0

I wonder why his eyebags are a different colour to his face? :-S
I don't need to know really I don't.
I just need to erase that image from my mind.
Any tips?
Brillo?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Apr 2020 19:52

It’s his sunbed goggles :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 14 Apr 2020 20:00

*gives head a wobble to shake out thought of the Donald on a sunbed* :-0 :-0

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Apr 2020 20:04

People in high positions do not always owe their status to being the best persons for their job on the basis of ability. :-\

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Apr 2020 21:48

he's a once-typical north american businessman who made his way up by bullying tactics and buying favours.

There were many of them around in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Trump and his father were/are throw backs to that era.

His grandfather, an immigrant from Germany (I think), made the start of the family's fortune running a brothel in Alaska around the 1860s/1870s, then moved to New York city.

You may have read about how some of the early ones bought their way in high social circles by "buying" a husband for a daughter from among the English aristocracy. I thin Winston Churchill's mother Jennie was one of those daughters.

Perhaps you can gather what I really really think of him! ;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Apr 2020 22:02

Why don't you say what you really think, Sylvia ;-) :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2020 22:36

:-D :-D :-D

Sylvia's not far off what many sane people think - though a lot more polite than many! :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2020 00:52

Oh - Trump has temporarily stopped US funding to the WHO.
Is this because they disagree with him about his vast medical knowledge (obviously the bestest ever) and the use of antibiotics being useless against viruses?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2020 03:20

It's heading for a big quarrel in the US

Trump says that as President he has total control over everything, and it is his right, and only his, to determine when businesses re-open.

State Governors are saying "Oh no, it isn't his right. WE are the ones who determine that".

Governor Cuomo, of NY, said kings have the right to total control, presidents do not ........... I think he should have said DICTATORS are the ones who have total right to do everything.

So, 5 states on the east coast and 3 on the west coast are banding together to form 2 groups that will determine together what is best for their states to act in unison.

BTW ................. the President of the USA does NOT have total control, according to even his own legal experts :-P

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2020 03:22

maggie ......... it's the 3rd time he has threatened to withhold funding for WHO

Allan, I thought I had been pretty careful in how I said what I really thought :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Apr 2020 08:17

How can Trump have control of the country when he doesn’t have control of himself?

Anyone remember the orange tango man adverts? That tubby little orange man running around waving his arms about.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2020 10:31

For a while now, I've been watching a very funny comedian called Michael Spicer, who pretends he is in another room, advising politicians.
His latest one, on Trump, was actually shown on 'The Late Show' in the US.

It's worth a watch :-D Scroll down to find it.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/04/15/45878/michael_spicers_room_next_door_hits_america

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Apr 2020 16:24

In this election year Trump is insisting his name goes on the coved 19 relief cheques.

I suppose as we get closer to the election Trump will insist the Americans owe him their vote.

Thank god I’m not one of them.

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2020 17:39

Trump will call off the election citing 'a bad time' to win himself another 4 years.

TBH I'm amazed he is still walking.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2020 17:43

Oh yes, Trump is madly trying to save himself in all this ........... re-election is the name of the game.

Problem is, his core supporters are still behind him, that's the people in the states running down the centre of the US. East and West coast states are mainly democratic. So he may still have sufficient numbers of them behind him.

But it is the peculiarity of the US elections that it is the Electoral College which determines who is the President. Read the Wikipedia article for what seems the most comprehensible explanation, if indeed there is a "comprehensible" explanation.

It all dates back to the Constitution of the US in 1787 when only white educated wealthy men were deemed knowledgeable enough to elect leaders. Plus of course, there were a lot of difficulty in traveling around anywhere.

It is a very clumsy and anachronistic way of electing the leader of such a large 1st world country.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Apr 2020 17:56

Wasn't he going to get the Corvid problem sorted out by Easter?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Apr 2020 18:22

I don't think Trump believes in the checks-and-balances system any more than old Joe did.

Strange families, both of them.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Apr 2020 18:51

Are the crows giving him bother then?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Apr 2020 18:58

dem crows can be very intelligent,Kense..