General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Totally Fed Up Now.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jun 2020 23:19

With all this family tree malarkey but not this site. I joined another site a few years ago and suddenly it’s all gone haywire, too much wrong information for me to correct, it makes me want to demolish my tree there and start again grr.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jun 2020 23:37

ZZzzz don't give up. I hit many a brick wall over the years, went down the wrong path too a few times.
I took a break from it for a few weeks, months and then came back to it and was able to sort out my mistakes without starting all over.

Hope you manage to sort it out.
Good luck

Florence in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Jun 2020 23:39

I did that on Ancestry ZZzzz. I started from scratch and this time split it into 4 trees one for each branch starting from me and OH. It is now split into OH's Maternal line and his Paternal line and same for mine. I also kept my original one to refer to but it is huge as we both come from complicated families

How are you today, better I hope

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jun 2020 23:49

Thank you both for your encouragement, I’m just a bit disheartened at the moment, but I’ll get over it..... and thank you I am better now. :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Jun 2020 00:00

That's good ZZzzz. I do find the split tree easier to handle as it was getting very complicated. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Jun 2020 10:20

I keep my trees off line. I have two trees for OH and three for me. I find them more manageable that way.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jun 2020 11:52

I should have said that it is the site that has put up the wrong information which in turn has come from another site and someone has put wrong information on there aaagggggg.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Jun 2020 11:54

Oh gawd ZZzzz it sounds a right pickle :-0.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jun 2020 12:36

LG, that isn’t even close to what I said lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jun 2020 12:54

ZZzzz, I've found that a lot - totally wrong information - particularly with American sites.
I've come to a standstill with my Suffolk side, but was lucky with my Cornish side, as parish records are online - and free!
However, I try to confirm information I've found, so type in the name -and some is just amazingly wrong - especially on trees created by Americans :-S

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Jun 2020 13:21

:-D :-D :-D I would have used my best LUNDEN as I call it :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jun 2020 13:27

LG, LUNDEN ???

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jun 2020 13:33

...creeps on
Luddite here!
With one side of my tree (the Cornish side) I've put details of individuals in a folder, going backwards, then I've put the tree on a sheet of lining paper!
However, I managed to miss out one generation.
I know why - how the heck did 3 generations of 'Jory' males manage to marry 3 'Polkinghorne' females - in succession!
I need to research how closely they were related, but my 'Ooohh' compass keeps telling me I may not want to know!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Jun 2020 13:40

Maggie they sound like OH's Evans and Tilstons :-D :-D :-D. Very confusing ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jun 2020 14:37

My gran's aunt, from Suffolk summed up village life in an interview with 'Framlingham Weekly News' in 1935, on her 100th birthday. Here's part of it - beware written in Suffolk dialect! :

"Then in my young days, it wor rare fur the children tew gew away, but now, there’s no accounting wher they’ll be as sune as they leave schule. We used tew marry one another until the whool village wur divided atween two or three families, But thet aint accounted roight tew-day; but, there, I never see’d anything amiss in thet; though I must say as how most villages had their idiots. But I hev heerd as how madness hasn’t been whooly stamped out , enen in London!"

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jun 2020 00:42

Some of the trees on ancestry have me born of a "relationship" between my mother and my 10 year old brother :-0 :-( ................ father's name disappeared due to one cousin treemaker who didn't know his own family. The information was then copied.

I really can't be bothered any more.

If no-one can spot the age difference from the birth years given, and still refuse to make corrections, then b****r them!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Jun 2020 11:30

I felt like I couldn’t be bothered, still a bit fed up, but I’ve been on myheritage site for a few years so I’ve done a DNA test with them too, see what wrong information I get from them. :-\

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Jun 2020 11:46

I know not everyone agrees, but I think MH is better for European matches than Ancestry.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Jun 2020 14:44

Well I’ve just posted my DNA with track reference number, so now I just have to wait.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 8 Jun 2020 23:34

Do let us know how you get on, ZZzzz