General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shielding

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jun 2020 21:25

Is anybody else shielding?

We thought we were going to be out tomorrow but it looks like there might be soething more than a month to go.

I think we are going to be going to get a letter this week but I really had to look to find that out.

No doubt they will give us soe idea of what we can do soon.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jun 2020 21:30

I wouldn't bank on it :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jun 2020 21:47

Are we locked in together forever then?

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Jun 2020 21:52

I’m in Scotland and my 47 year old friend who was told to shield was allowed out at the beginning of last week. He was shielding for medical reasons and I’m surprised he was allowed out earlier than people in England as everything else is moving more slowly here.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jun 2020 22:02

I think you may be advised during this week whenever Boris does the update. Maybe Tuesday.

But you will not be thrown in prison if you decide to go out.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Jun 2020 22:16

I really would rather not take any risks but I also don't want to impose upon the lady who does my shopping without good cause.

It has not been so bad.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Jun 2020 22:34

My sister in law is still shielding - she's been out once, in the car with my brother - since February.
She's got Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, ('slow' leukemia) she's on a trial drug that appears to be working, but is waiting to hear from her consultant, if she can go out.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2020 10:31

Watching the news and I am still no wiser as to what our position is.

There are 2,200,000 of us so you would think they might make it a little less seret.

Von

Von Report 22 Jun 2020 11:08

https://www.healthwatch.co.uk/advice-and-information/2020-03-26/coronavirus-what-does-shielding-mean
Worth a read if you haven't already done so.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Jun 2020 12:10

This is from the ipost (which I had never heard of!) from 3 days ago.

Those who are shielding are currently told they can leave home if they wish, as long as they are able to maintain strict social distancing.

They were initially told not to leave home at all but the rules were reviewed on June 1 in England, allowing shielding to exercise outside once a day and meet one person from another household outdoors.

But they should only go out with members of their own household, although those who live alone can spend time outdoors with one person from another household, ideally the same person each time.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2020 12:20

I would go out but not yet go to the supermarket. We are not shielding but have been almost doing so being in the over 70s but with no health problems. We won't yet go to the supermarket and our neighbour is fine with that.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2020 13:15

We were informed officially that one of us was required to shield, which meant we both needed to comply.

Today was supposed to have been the day that 2,200,000 of us were supposed to have been let out to resume our full and exciting lives, god help you!

As we were singled out specifically, I was expecting us to be kept informed. We didn't claim free food but many have, one of my old biddies, and how will they know when that will cease to be provided?

I will certainly be taking up my hairdressing appointment on 7th July, come what may, I hope,

Von

Von Report 22 Jun 2020 13:31

We have been shielding since before lock down. As of last week we have started to walk around our block.

We had 2 free food packages which came because we ticked the box which said we had nobody to shop for us and I couldn't get a slot online.

We cancelled them after 2 deliveries as I managed to get online shopping.

I've no intention at the moment of going anywhere other than around our block although I really want to see my grandchildren.

Given that this is by no means over and numbers of covid are still going up daily in my area I shall continue to shop online and carry on as I have been doing for the last 4 months.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2020 13:42

We are also trying to sort out our finances. OH has exactly a year until he draws his state pension and neither of us really want him to go back to work, it was only three days a week anyway.

One company he works for, maybe more than one, I don't know, has furloughed him and we do get a bit of Universal Credit all the while he is officially unable to work, but we need to know how we stand financially and from what date.

I think I am just being a bit edgy because I am having to depend upon somebody outside to do my Aldi shop and I want to make some sort of plans to survive the next year, which I know we will do.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jun 2020 16:57

i have been shielding just based on my age

wasnt told officially i should but all the posts seemed to say i should

have been getting online grocery deliveries from sainsbury who seemed to think i was a priority

last Saturday i did break lockdown to go to step grandsons birthday barbecue all self distanced

had to take the cat to the vet too for his annual jabs

waited outside all masked up and the reception took him in to be jabbed and once over health inspection

so 98 pounds later we were on out way home

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 Jun 2020 17:13

1ST of August before anyone that is shielding can go out at all.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jun 2020 17:24

I thought he said 6th July. Just another example of how confusing this all is. However Hancock did say he would be writing to all those shielders.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jun 2020 17:50

I have a chiropractor appointment this Friday

Usually have a monthly appointment to get the back realigned as it does it’s own drift

Really need the appointment that will be self distanced

Now I NEED the hairdressers to get rid of the white roots that are taking over

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 Jun 2020 17:55

6th July is for people that have had Corona19 and only in a Support Bubble with only 6 people.

1st Aug for the rest such as COPD.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2020 17:58

I think it is 1 st August for those most at risk and clinically shielding. But all at risk re age health etc to continue to take care and not go out too much where there is a risk. I think he said it would be published.